Saturday, October 23, 2010

HOW TO REORGANIZE YOUR FRIDGE!

Every time I open my fridge I shriek! From as far back as I could remember this is the one spot that just needs constant maintenance.

Why do fridges ALWAYS get so disorganized?

1. Always buying new groceries.
2. Everyone in household grabbing and throwing items back in (and not always in its proper place).
3. Simply gets overloaded because we forget what is in it. (For example: my boyfriend was starving one morning and grabbed a string cheese that was more than rancid (let's just say it was over a year old and this is so not typical of how I keep my fridge, but hey....it can happen to anyone!)
4. We do not have the right tools to keep it organized.

So yes our refrigerators do need constant maintenance but there are ways we can make it easier for us.

Follow the steps below for a ORGANIZING & CLEAN looking fridge (it will make you feel good I promise!)

1. Take every SINGLE item out of your fridge.
2. Clean the fridge with the green rough side of a Scotch-Brite 3M Heavy duty scrub sponge and some hot soapy water. I also used a clorox wipe to disinfect the fridge and than wiped it down with paper towels.
3. Next I went to the Container Store and bought this great product called Fridge Binz. They come in all different sizes, but I prefer the deep tray bins. I purchased two 14-3/4x8x4 ($14.99 each) and one 14-3/4x4x4 ($10.99). These may seem a bit pricey but trust me I searched for the best quality, because you want something unbreakable and sturdy in your fridge.
4. I used the Fridge Binz to organize the items that looked messy in my fridge (Remember that while you are placing items back in Fridge to look for expired dates and toss those out!)
5. One Fridge Binz was used for sandwich toppings (mustard, mayo, pickles, peppers, pesto, ect). I used another to organize my breakfast goods (peanut butter, jelly, yogurt). The last one was used to organize misc cooking items (tomato sauce, sundried tomatoes, olives, ect). I LOVE the way these bins look and they really make everything look so much more organized.
5. I never know what to do with cans (beer/soda). Those boxes with the one end that opens are great, but not all of the cans we buy come like that. So I bought the Fridge Monkey ($5.99) at the Container Store and it holds up to ten bottles.
6. I have three drawers in my fridge. I used one for cheese, one for produce and one for meat/sandwich meats.

You are all done! Enjoy your clean fridge and this beautiful Fall day! Stayed tuned for more...


2 comments:

  1. Love it des! I just got a new fridge and these bins are a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Rachel-they really do work great!

    ReplyDelete